Note: The strategies I used during this little "bootcamp" do not accurately reflect my current habits. I'm learning all the time. I recommended reading more recent posts from the Body Love category to stay up to date!
The first goal I've decided to tackle this year, for health AND for fun, is getting into my personal best physical shape for an upcoming Nicaraguan surf retreat on February 15th. This bikini is standing by!
I'm really happy with my strength overall. The emphasis for now is on losing extra holiday pounds. I also want to pay a little extra attention to upper body strength to help with paddling during my surf trip, and help me progress with my aerial skills. I'll be doing:
- Cardio 5 x week - Interval training or other cardio classes that will burn claories, strengthen and get it all done in an hour - If I'm working out on my own, I'll run for about 30 minutes
- Mind Body Class 2 x week - yoga, barre, or home practice
- Pull-up training - I should have enough time to run through The 21-Day Pullup Challenge twice!
- Aerials once a week. If I want to see progress on the silks, I've got to practice, practice, practice.
Shout out to my nutritionist, Julie! Lots of these are habits I normally practice anyway, but I'll be cutting back on extras and focusing on making the basics really count.
- Commit to eating 3 meals a day plus a couple snacks (no skipping meals, no getting carried away with snacking, and no substituting snack foods for meals. That means no Pinkberry yogurt for lunch... for now!)
- Drink lots of water
- Commit to having salad and dark green veggies every day
- Limit grains to 1-2 servings per day
- Eat lean protein every day
- Eat so many vegetables I can hardly stand it
I got started on this plan on January 2nd, and I already feel really good. My mood has lifted and my energy is better.
Do you currently have weight loss goals you'd like to achieve? Other health or strength goals? I'd love to hear about them, or have you join me in this winter beach bootcamp!